Division 2 is for players aged 9-10 years. Teams play games at Brewster school fields on Sunday mornings, and have one hour-long practice during the week (at a time determined by the coach). Games begin at 9 am, 10 am, or 11 am and are divided into four 12-minute quarters. The play field is from sideline to sideline on the JV Varsity field and teams play 7 v 7.
Referees will call obvious offsides.
Division 2 Curriculum
Division 2 players should learn:
- dribble with both inside and outside of foot
- change speed and direction of dribble
- pass with inside and outside of foot
- pass with power
- receive pass with inside or outside of either foot
- when a teammate is running, pass to the space in front of them
- make your “first touch” in the direction you want to go
- “mark up” means to be next to an opposing player (between them and the goal)
- tackle by planting your cleats with your foot sideways to the ball
- defensive stance = one foot forward, like surfing
- move to open areas when a teammate has the ball
- make movements with body and ball to “beat” an opponent
- accelerate after you make a move to beat an opponent
- screen the ball from opponent with your shoulder
- catch high balls with both hands, thumbs touching
- after a save, move away from the net to put the ball back in play
- after a save, you can either throw or punt the ball
Potential Skill Games from AYSO:
You can also look at skill games from Division 3.